Built from the red rocks that surround it, Alto Atacama Desert Lodge & Spa rises like a foothill of the terracotta-hued Salt Mountain Range. Blending with the natural surroundings, the lodge mimics local village architecture. Walk among the “Andescape,” a hand-planted garden blossoming from ancient seeds of the Altiplano. This desert oasis boasts one of the 10 Best Spas in Latin America by Spa Finder. Guests can sip some of the region’s finest Chilean wines, while looking out to the sweeping landscape of the Catarpe Valley from within one of many semi-private pools. Choose from over 30 excursions into the desert and mountains, for the relaxed to the thrill seeking. Alto Atacama offers the perfect blend of serenity and adventure.
AN ADVENTUROUS WONDERLAND
For travelers who want more than just a vacation, Alto Atacama is steeped in Andean culture. Over half of the staff is indigenous, and their personal stories enrich guests’ understanding of the region. Outdoor enthusiasts can book two-day trips following old migration routes of the Likanantai and Tiwanaku peoples from the Andean plains or trek across the salt flats of the Cordillera de la Sal and pass the “Three Marys,” rocks sculpted by extreme winds, or pass the ghost towns of Peñaliri on a scenic journey to the Rio Grande.
Expert guides lead a wide variety of excursions. Choose short day trips to Incan ruins and petroglyphs, meet local farmers using traditional techniques, or step onto strange landscapes like the Valley of the Moon, or wade into turquoise waters of the Tebinquinche. Come nightfall, see the stars under the open air observatory back at the lodge.
Alto Atacama is the driest of all deserts, but glacial snow trickles down to fill the spa’s aquifers with crystal clear waters. Solar-heated pools, expert hands, and aromatic scents invigorate after a day of exploring.
Guests are treated to Finnish Saunas, Turkish baths, Scottish showers, indoor & outdoor hot tubs, or simply relax in one of six pools, each surrounded by a rock wall for added privacy. Order from the pool-side bar, fill up on organic, locally-grown foods.
Ideal for:families and couples looking for one of the top luxury adventure programs and lodging in Atacama
- 30 excursions into the desert and mountains
- Finnish Saunas, Turkish baths, Scottish showers
- Semi-private pools with a pool-side bar
- Local and organic foods
- Eco-friendly, socially-responsible business practices
- “Andescape” gardens
- Suite Tilo: Located in Alto Atacama gardens with view of Lagoon and Catarpe Valley; Private Terrace; Private Patio with an additional outdoor shower; Safe Deposit Box; Minibar; 2 of these suites are connected. Ideal for families
- Standard Catarpe: Located in Alto Atacama gardens; Slightly larger than “Quitors”, with a more private terrace; Uninterrupted view of Cordillera de la Sal Range and Catarpe Valley; Private Terrace; Safe Deposit Box; Minibar
- Quitor: Located near the Common Areas; Views of the gardens and the Cordillera de la Sal; Private Terrace; Safe Deposit Box; Minibar. 1 is wheelchair accessible
- Swimming Pools (6)
- Outdoor Jacuzzi
- Award-winning Spa
- Multilingual Staff
- Laundry & Drycleaning
- High-speed Wi-Fi