Deep in the Amazon, on a pristine 5,000-acre ecological reserve, hides the luxurious eco-friendly Sacha Lodge. Hidden amongst the trees, built directly upon Pilchicocha Lake, the dense wildlife creates a vibrant backdrop and magical curtain into another world. Walk high above the rainforest canopy, paddle the river ways as colorful birds fly overhead and monkeys leap through trees. See the most biodiverse region on the planet from the lavish comforts of the lodge’s suites, built snugly into the jungle’s grandeur. Dine al fresco on a flavorful gourmet menu, looking at the immensity of the stars, listening to the calls of the wild.
BLEND INTO THE WILDERNESS
Designed to blend seamlessly into its surroundings, the lodge is like just another part of the forest. The Balsa, Spanish for “raft,” is the heart of the Sacha Lodge experience. A covered al fresco lounge with breathtaking views of Pilchicocha Lake, it’s the perfect place to read a book with a glass of wine, spot birds, caiman, and giant otters, or watch the crimson sunsets and tremendous thunderstorms. Meals are served in the airy restaurant, windows open, where guests can dine listening to the cicadas.
Using fresh, sustainable ingredients, the chef prepares à la carte meals to delight the tastes of a world traveler while satisfying the appetite of an adventurer. Menus change daily, and often include the ever popular Amazonian paiche fish. Settle into the safari-style bamboo bar, serving wine, spirits, and classic cocktails created by a master barman.
THE AMAZON AWAITS
Adventure is a given at Sacha Lodge. Each acre along the banks of the Napo River has more biodiversity than the whole of North America. Cross the rainforest across a bridge 100 feet over the treetops. Step onto the 135-foot observation tower, built on the highest branches of a giant kapok tree. Take a short canoe trip down the Napo to the edge of Yasuní National Park to witness hundreds of parrots, or take a night-time expedition to find caimans on the lake. Under cover of darkness, take a canoe onto the water, lit only by the stars and the light of a guide’s flashlight.
All programs and itineraries are tailor-made and flexible to each guest’s needs and interests.
Ideal fortravelers looking to stay in a primary Amazon rainforest sanctuary with canopy walk, birdwatching tower, and amazing wildlife
- Tailor-made guided tours of the jungle, canoe trips, night excursions, and overnight programs led by expert guides
- Al fresco lounge area serving a la carte meals made from locally sourced and sustainable ingredients
- Plunge pool, protected by a mesh cage, allows safe swimming in Pilchicocha Lake
- Rooms sealed against insects, and a mostly bug-free zone due to the black-water lake sediment
- Turtle rescue program: adopt and name a baby turtle and release it into the wild
- World-class bird-watching experts who know the best spots for those hard-to-find species
- Largest butterfly farm in Ecuador with over 40 species
- Shipati Warmi project, an initiative run by and for women of the Providencia community of Yasuní: learn about their daily lives in the jungle, taste their delicious foods, even learn how to shoot a blow gun
- Room: Single, double, or triple accommodations; Screened against insects; Ceiling fans
- Family suite: Two double beds; Private bathroom; Floor-to-ceiling windows in some; Screened against insects; Ceiling fans
- Canopy walk
- Observation deck
- Personalized guided tours
- Bilingual staff
- Rubber boots and rain ponchos available for all guests
- Responsible, sustainable fishing practices
- Highly knowledgeable, caring, and personalized guides from local communities dedicated to conservation, education, and guest comfort
- Activities for children