Tierra Patagonia Hotel & Spa sits on a bluff overlooking Lake Sarmiento and the mesmerizing Torres del Paine National Park. The hotel, a cozy hideaway, features artisan Chilean furnishings and textiles made from natural materials inspired by the surrounding estancias and native Tehuelche people. Experience this “adventure spa” with its wide array of expertly guided excursions into the wilderness, followed by a full menu of relaxation treatments at its award-winning spa. Dine on classic traditional meals paired with the hotel’s exclusive list of Chilean wines.
ADVENTURE SPA PHILOSOPHY
Tierra Patagonia believes guests want to delve into the outdoors, seeking adventure by day, then relaxing in the spa upon return retreating to the hotel’s variety of relaxation options. Choose two half-day excursions or one full-day. Walk the boundary of the Torres del Paine National Park to the shores of Lake Nordenskjöld. See million year old geologic thrombolites, rare condors, guanacos, and spectacular views of world famous French Glacier. Ride horses alongside local gauchos (cowboys) on a private 100,000 hectare Patagonian Ranch through ancient lenga tree forests to the phenomenon of Laguna Amarga, a lake with water four times saltier than the sea. Sail the Serrano River into one of the most unknown areas in the region near the glaciers of the Great Southern Ice Field and walk the base of the Serrano Glacier where, upon return, enjoy a true Patagonian lamb barbecue on the banks of the river.
Guests can also skip the daily excursions in favor of full days at the spa. Uma Spa offers both outdoor and indoor swimming pools with stunning views of the Torres del Paine. There is also an outdoor Jacuzzi, sauna, steam bath, and a vast number of massages and facials using local hot stones and natural herbs.
THE RED TABLE
The dining area is casually elegant with handsome wooden tables, dramatic views of the lake and mountains, and its iconic long red table, a nod to the red gateposts of the ranches in the area. It lends personality to the ambiance by both its warm color and the joy and laughter of the people sitting around it dining on the simple, hearty menu infamous of Tierra Patagonia. Dishes made of seafood from the Straits of Magellan, meats and lamb from nearby ranches, and indigenous calafate and myrtle berries from the pampas. Try locally caught king crab set in a flavorful gazpacho soup, roasted lamb with candied vegetables and pureed polenta, or Southern hake with cream of avocado and shrimp flambé in pisco topped off with Chile’s specialty carmeneres wine.
Ideal fortravelers looking for a wonderful home base outside of Chile’s Torres del Paine National Park; suites are not ideal for wheelchair users, but other rooms are.
- Guided half-day and full-day excursions to surrounding mountains, lakes, glaciers, and wildlife lookouts on foot, horseback, or boat. Guests choose excursions rated low to high level of difficulty
- Exquisite dining experience at the Red Table, offering couture Chilean recipes from locally sourced seafood and meats
- Full range of local Chilean wines and cocktails served at the restaurant and bar, including Chile’s national drink, the Pisco Sour
- Uma Spa’s award-winning menu of relaxation treatments including massages, facials, hot stone treatments, shiatsu, Reiki, crystal therapy and reflexology
- Horseback riding on private estancia land alongside local cowboys on horses born and raised on the land and specially trained for any riding level
- Over 120 bird species, including flamingos, caiquenes, ducks, ñandú (a type of ostrich), Magellanic woodpeckers, caranchos, eagles and the majestic condor
- Fly fishing excursions to unexplored areas, accompanied by a local guide offering guidance on local fishing culture
- Rare sightings of white rock formations called thrombolites on the shores of Lake Sarmiento
- Standard Rooms: King bed or two twin beds; Hand-crafted furniture; Bathtub in the bedroom; Safe; L’Occitane amenities; Views of Torres del Paine
- Suites: Two floors; Double room with ensuite downstairs; Hand-crafted furniture; Safe; L’Occitane amenities; Views of Lake Sarmiento and Torres del Paine
- Superior Rooms: King or two twin beds; Hand-crafted furniture; Safe; L’Occitane amenities; Views of Torres del Paine
- Family Apartments: Two connected Superior Rooms; Two bathrooms; Hand-crafted furniture; Safe; L’Occitane amenities; Views of Torres del Paine
- Indoor swimming pool
- Outdoor Jacuzzi
- Sauna and steam bath
- Dining room
- Living room
- TV room
- Map area
- iPads available for guest use